Monday, November 10, 2008

Probably One Of The Best Meals Of My Life


Above: Warm Caolin Potato Cased in Eatable Clay/Vegetable Carpaccio (Watrermelon) with Cured Cheese and Dried Hazelnuts

Before traveling to Spain, I saw a brief segment on the cuisine of a well known 2 Michelin Star restaurant just outside of San Sebastian. Mugaritz was the place that I initially viewed as another hippy grown garden/restaurant with a charge of 30 dollars a plate for seasonal ingredients garnished with pea greens.   I thought I had seen this movie somewhere before and immediately made foolish judgments on what to expect.  

Above: Langoustine Tail with Amaranth and Sardine Broth

Well, I was wrong. I don't think I could have anticipated such a unique respect for both ingredient and technique. I was immediately taken with the unique philosophy of chef Andoni Luis Aduriz, who played as many great chefs do, displaying only the best ingredients with impeccable technique matched perfectly to each dish. But, a uniqueness of exploration and even exploitation of some of the most basic characteristics of ingredients.

The exploration and exploitation started with the Caolin Potatoes which proceeded an initial stack of crispy shrimps with ailoli.  I thought it clever to start the meal off with something similar to a digestive .  The Caolin Potato exploits the earthiness of the potato by encasing it in ceramic clay.  This is to be eaten whole.  Simple in flavor and an experience never to forget.

Of the many dishes that followed, Flowers Flowers Flowers is probably one that I will always remember.  This dish simply showcased the many eatable flowers that exist.  I initially thought the dish was going to be bitter, but there was a strong balance brought by fried artichoke petals which made the dish and complemented the other fragrant and slightly bitter flowers.

Above: Flowers, Flowers, Flowers/Hot Vegetable Soup with Dehydrated Tubers

The dishes explained above are only a fraction of the ten coarse meal enjoyed by me and my chef friends.  Tied along with the meal was excellent service from an international staff and an excellent and affordable wine pairing of local Basc and Spanish wines.

Above: Torija: Rich Bread Soaked with Farm Fresh Egg Yolk

This is one of these places you have to go to before you die.  Not only for the food, but the experience.  You immediately become educated following this meal and as a chef become inspired.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just discovered your blog - interested to read what adventures you might encounter.

a few Spanish suggestions:

El Poblet (Denia) - as unique, if not mroeso, than this Mugaritz meal; just as special.

Paco Gandia (Pinosa) - world's best paella? quite possibly.

Etxebarri (Axpe) - some consider the world's best griller. a little one-note but remarkable.

i've got some other reviews from my limited travels in Spain but these are must-do's.

http://www.chuckeats.com/